Skin care is all about using to most appropriate products for you individual skin. It may seem like its hard to find the perfect product but it actually isn't once you look in the right places. It is essential to look after your skin especially if you wear makeup or add other things to your face.
Types of Skin:
- Dry (Most Common)
- Normal (Least Common)
Skin types depend on certain things such as
- Water - which helps your skin to be comfortable and allows it to be elastic
- Oil content, which affects your skin's softness
- Sensitivity level
Over time, your skin can change into another type of skin. This may be due to many reasons such as food intake, weather, change in routines, stress etc.
Dry Skin Type
Dry skin can produce:
- Almost invisible pores
- Dull, rough complexion
- Red patches
- Less elasticity
- More visible lines
When your skin becomes dry, it is more likely to crack, peel, or become itchy, irritated or inflamed. If your skin becomes too dry then it could result in forming rough or scaliness. This also be the result if no action is taken on the dry skin. however, this is more common on backs of your hands, arms an legs.
Dry skin may be caused or made worse by:
- Genetic factors
- Aging or hormonal changes
- Weather such as wind, sun, or cold
- Indoor heating
- Long, hot baths and showers
- Ingredients in soaps, cosmetics, or cleansers
Some tips for taking better care of dry skin:
- Limits baths and showers to once a daily and make then shorter
- Use mild, gentle soaps or cleansers. Avoid deodorant soaps.
- Don't scrub while bathing or drying.
- Apply a rich moisturizer right after bathing. Ointments and creams may work better than lotions for dry skin but are often messier. Reapply as needed throughout the day.
- Use a humidifier and don't let indoor temperatures get too hot.
- Wear gloves when using cleaning agents or household detergents
Oily Skin Type
Oily skin can produce:
- Enlarged pores
- Dull or shiny, thick complexion
- Blackheads, pimples, or other blemishes
Oiliness depends on time and weather and may change. Oily skin can be caused or made worse by:
- Exposure to heat or too much humidity
To take care of oily skin:
- Wash your skin no more than twice a day and after you sweating heavily.
- Use a gentle cleanser and don't scrub.
- Don't pick, pop, or squeeze pimples. This makes it harder for it to heal.
- Use products labelled as "nonomedogenic." which tend not to clog pores.
Sensitive Skin Type
Sensitive skin can show up as:
If your skin is sensitive, try to find out what your triggers are so you can avoid them. You may have sensitive skin for a variety of reasons, but often it's in response to particular skin care products.
Normal Skin Type
Normal skin is not too dry and not too oily. It has:
- No or few imperfections
- No severe sensitivity
- Barely visible pores
- A radiant complexion
Combination Skin Type
Combination skin can produce:
- Overly dilated pores
- Shiny skin
A combination skin type can be dry or normal in some areas and oily in others, such as the T-zone (nose, forehead, and chin). Many people have combination skin, which may benefit from slightly different types of skin care in different areas.
The Basics of Skin Care
These tips will help your skin stay healthier no matter what type it is.
- Use a broad spectrum sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Avoid direct sunlight and wear a hat and sunglasses.
- Don't smoke.
- Drink 2 litres of water daily to keep skin hydrated
- Wash your skin thoroughly every day and never wear makeup to bed.
- Moisturize your skin daily. (More than once if needed)
- Have a balanced diet
- Avoid stress as much as you can
- Control Alcohol intake
- Monitor what goes on your skin
- Get your beauty sleep
- Avoid using baby wipes on your face regularly
- Cleanse (removes make up, dirt, bacteria and oil), Tone (removes any excess product from the skin) and Moisturise twice daily!!!
- Exfoliate once or twice a week which will remove dead skin cells and reveal the fresh skin underneath.
I have a combination type of dry and sensitive skin.
- Simple products very helpful for my skin and cleanse, tone and moisturise daily using their products
- Holland and Barrett's are great for good skin care as they have the needed chemicals. I love, love, love their lip products (Honey & Zinc Oxide are perfect for good, soft and kissable lips)
- Biore - Pore Unclogging Scrub
- No7 - Exfoliator
- Osiris Apricot Exfoliating Facial Scrub
- Mr Organic - Eye Cream (Especially good if you use a lot of eye makeup)
The Ingredients Within:
- kaolin: (clay) brings spots and blockages to a head good for oily skin
- sulphur: has a drying action, good for healing
- calamine & rose water: sooths skin
- witch hazel: astringent (drying)
- lanolin: remains on the skin, locks in moisture and water
- glycerol: (organic)attracts moisture and prevents products from dying out in container
- isopropyl alcohol: drying can be irritating
- lavender : antibacterial and soothing
- almond oil: nourishing
- zinc oxide: healing and soothing
Homemade Face Things
3 Homemade cleansers for an oiling or combination skin type:
- Peel and cut a cucumber into slices and mix with natual yoghurt in a food processor
- Yoghurt contains natural enzymes which will cleanse the skin, add strawberries for a great cleanser for these skin types.
- This is for oily skin Mix peach until it becomes pulp in a food processor and apply to skin
2 Homemade cleansers for a dry or sensitive skin type:
- Fill a small muslin bag with 2 cups full of bran. Soak for a few minutes in warm water, squeeze water out and wash your face with the bag.
- Soak camomile teabag in some hot water, squeeze it into a small amount of natural yogurt and apply to face.
2 Homemade toners for dry or sensitive skin:
- Camomile: boil camomile flowers for 20mins and sieve use remaining water as toner
- Lemon: add 300ml of water to the juice of a lemon
2 Homemade toners for combination skin
- Green tea: steep tea leaves and leave cool in fridge
- witch hazel: best known toner for oily/combination skins
For all skin type:
Add the yolk of one egg to a tea spoon of almond oil and a teaspoon of honey(tones,tightens ) mix and apply straight onto the skin
- Dry skin: add one table spoon of lemon juice to 120 grams of yoghurt then massage into skin
- Oily/combination skin: mix one cup of carnation milk to a teaspoon of honey and massage into skin
Apple: use half a grated apple mixed with 2 tablespoons of live yoghurt and one teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply to face and leave for 20 minutes and rinse with water (great for dull skins)
Banana: mix with 2 teaspoons of almond oil and leave on skin for 30minutes (great for all skin types as bananas have a softening effect)
Eggs: beat 2 egg whites until they become a stiff consistency. Mix with a teaspoon of honey and leave on skin for 30minutes (Great for oily skin)
(eggs whites have a tightening effect and clear impurities)
Put lemon grass and hot water in to a bowl, place a towel over your head and steam your face for about 5 minutes
this is great for opening your pores and cleansing the skin. Its also a great time to apply pore strips as the pores are open and blackheads are easier to remove.
Don't forget to moisturise after
Takr care of your skin cause natural beauty is what counts the most! Hope your skin gives great results!